22 things. When you think you’re not doing enough, try this.
I’ve been feeling behind. Like, I can’t get a groove down or I’m not focused enough or I’m focused on the wrong things. Out of curiosity, I made a list of what I had been doing. 22 things I'd accomplished since January poured out of me. And magically, the disappointment in myself faded.
- Had the whole family over for a bagel brunch on New Year’s Day.
- Took a train to a yoga class outside of Sydney.
- Ran across two bridges in Düsseldorf.
- Ate stroopwaffels and strolled bookstores in Amsterdam.
- Got approval to graduate with my Associates of Fine Arts in Music. The school was saying a few of the liberals I’d taken waaaayyyy baaaaaack wheeeennnn for my BS didn’t meet today’s requirements. I was crushed. It took me four years to get through two years of music classes, now I was going to have re-take Biology 101, Writing 101 (not saying I couldn’t use a brush-up, but come on). After a crazy amount of phone calls, meetings and appeals, I got the go-ahead to get that diploma on May 17.
- Created 28 VIDEOS and lessons and launched my first-online course.
- Learned two pieces, this and this, and performed my very last piano recital. (I didn't film it, but I promise, I did it ;)
- Interviewed Jen about a self-induced experiment that became the catalyst for her biggest lesson in self-respect and Jes about an Insta-story ritual that’s providing deep contentment in the midst of transition.
- Interviewed Tracy about her latest creative venture that has boosted her feeling of personal, professional, and creative relevance.
- Interviewed Jacq about her transition from corporate to creative and realized how important it is for us to balance the heaviness of responsibility with the levity of creativity.
- My niece asked if my sister and I would like to meet her new boyfriend. We jumped at the chance, took them to dinner, and we loved him.
- Finally went through the process of getting Global Entry approval.
- Lori visited from San Diego. We had wine and french fries and watched Lady Bird and Robyn Youkilus's meal planning workshop over dark chocolate peanut butter cups.
- Marni visited from Mesa. We had wine and french fries and foot massages and did morning pages at Time Market.
- Sorted through every bit of feedback from the women who took my course in February. Applied every last bit to the one I'm offering in May.
- Interviewed Dove about creativity and the role it’s played in healing from cancer.
- Spent a day with my sister. We talked for hours over breakfast tacos and almond milk mochas, bought heart-shaped hoop earrings and hand-painted cactus cards at Cultivate Tucson and ended the day with more talking and another almond milk mocha.
- Pitched an article about transformation to a magazine, got it, and wrote it.
- Did the Tracy Anderson workout 18 times in Jan, 16 in Feb, 20 in Mar, 21 in April + went to her Vitality Weekend in San Diego where I worked out with her trainers and met more of the #Tamily - a big deal because most of us do this workout at home. It was fun to connect with others doing the same.
- Read This is the Story of a Happy Marriage; What now?; She; The Wisdom of Sundays; This is Your Brain on Music; I’ve Been Thinking; Picnic in Provence; Show Your Work; Steal Like an Artist; and Dinner Chez Mois.
- Celebrated our third anniversary at a Women Rock concert followed by fish tacos and a dark chocolate jalapeño sundae.
- Started a private Facebook group so I can keep learning from the women who’ve taken my course.
And I thought I wasn’t doing enough.
This is one of the exercises we do in my Getting to the Heart of You course and I can you tell you,
If you're feeling overwhelmed or wondering, What now? take a moment and make a note of what you’ve done since January, or keep it simple and focus on last week. Get grounded in all you've accomplished. Sometimes that's necessary before we can move forward.
And tell me, does making this list make you feel better?